Sunday, October 13, 2013

Open Source Software: Made Public for Others to View and Share


What is open source and what does it mean?
Open source is a term that refers to something, whether it is computer software or products, that can be modified or enhanced by anyone since its design or source code is made viewable for the public. I must say that I am fairly new to the term, but didn’t realize that I was already using many open source programs such as Mozilla’s Firefox internet browser or WordPress.

With open source software, anyone can view the program’s source code, copy it, learn from it, share it, or even change the code. In fact, in order for software to be considered open source by the software development industry, they must follow certain criteria which are:
  • The program must be freely distributed.
  • Source code must be included.
  • Anyone must be allowed to modify the source code.
  • Modified versions can be redistributed.
  • The license must not require the exclusion of other software or interfere with the operation of other software.

The popularity of open source software is due to the fact that many people can examine the program’s code to make sure that it does what the program is intended to do or change it to do something else (kind of like what Wikipedia used to be before they actually checked what was being changed). Having the source code publicly accessible opens up to creativity and can be a beneficial tool to become better programmers by looking at the code and understanding what the code does. Wait a minute, if the source code is made available to the public, doesn’t that mean that the software isn’t secure. Well, that could be an issue, but in actuality, some people find open source software to be more secure and stable than closed software because anyone can spot and fix the errors without having to wait for future updates. This is one of the reasons why some people prefer using Linux instead of Microsoft’s Windows operating system.

The whole open source software idea is fascinating and I'm hoping that more software programs become open source one day. For more information on open source software or how I learned all these awesome information, click here, here, and why not here.


4 comments:

  1. Let me start of by saying "hi." I feel it should be a common courtesy to offer salutations to a person before commenting on their work. I like the way you have set up your blog and your post. It presents information that is useful, and is timeless in value. You have managed to bring up things I would not have thought to look at; to the subject you have done a good job relating them. It is good that you have put the amount of work you have put into this literature; and what you have produced. It has a lot of value. You have done a good job using sources that are highly credible and provide information that is useful and valid. All students should aspire to produce work that is as high quality as this is. I am glad I had not a chance, not a choice, but it was a mandatory read. I am also glad that this post that I am writing is not by chance, not by choice, but is mandatory; Giving me the pleasure to congratulate you on your accomplishment here.

    ReplyDelete
  2. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. *Sorry, I deleted by accident.
      I enjoyed reading your post. It reveals the basic and general overview of the definition of the term "open source". I learned what exact rules open source software must follow. Yes, because open source programs are so ubiquitous nowadays, we're using it unknowingly oftentimes. I also can agree that open source programs are very secure, more secure than closed source programs because of the reason you mentioned. I'm also excited about the future of open source programs because I think they have more potentials to improve than closed programs do.

      Delete
  3. Interesting read !
    It brought forward a few pieces of information that were unknown to me. A very well written and concise explanation about what Open source software is and what does a software being open source imply. Open source fascinates me to no extent. A whole lot of software that we use in our day to day life is open source software. There exists an Open source equivalent for almost all the proprietary software that is used. I, like you, hope and believe that Open source software will have a bright future but it will always co exist with proprietary software.

    ReplyDelete